Should I sell my house or rent it?
We explore the key considerations in deciding whether to sell your current home or rent it out. We also explore the option of using the equity in your current home towards the deposit on your next home.
- Borrowing capacity – Will the bank approve your loan for two properties?
- Cashflow – Cashflow is like oxygen. When you have it, you don’t think about it. But when you don’t have it you think about it all the time and without it, virtually nothing else is possible. Do you have a safety net if there is a loss of job or tenant for some time?
- Equity – Do you have enough equity to pay the deposit to purchase another home within the lending policy?
- Tax, Ownership & Loan Structure – What are the tax implications of owning an investment property? We suggest that you speak with your accountant.
- Future Plans – Does owning two properties fit within your short, medium- and long-term financial goals?
If you intend to withdraw equity from your current property to pay the deposit for another, please ensure you allow 4 – 6 weeks to have cash in hand to pay the relevant deposit. You don’t want to be in a position where a deposit is due without having the funds. There are a few alternative options, please get in touch to discuss.
Home loan structure
Lastly, how your loans are structured is pivotal to ensure that you have the most control over your finances and for the ease of lodging your tax returns each year.